Lela Rochon Staples is an American actress and producer, best known for her role in the critically acclaimed romantic movie ‘Waiting to Exhale’. Intensely competitive from her formative years, she was a star athlete in high school, especially in track and basketball. She worked as a dancer and model for over a decade and appeared in numerous commercials before beginning to be recognized as an actress. Thanks to her versatility and powerful acting, she became a sought artist by producers and filmmakers. Some of her best performances were seen in movies, such as ‘The Chamber’, ‘Gang Related’, ‘Knock Off’, ‘Why Do Fools Fall in Love’ and ‘Any Given Sunday’. With her passion and determination, she has successfully established herself as one of the most valued and relevant actresses of Hollywood. Rochon was once chosen among ‘The 50 most beautiful people in the world’ and ‘The 10 Sexiest Women of the Year’ by People magazine and Black Men Magazine, respectively. She is happily married to the American director Antoine Fuqua; and the couple has two children together.
Here is all you need to know about the actress and former model.
- Birth name: Lela Rochon Staples
- Date of birth: 17th April 1964
- Lela Rochon age: 56 years old
- Place of birth: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Zodiac sign: Aries
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity: Haitian – American
- Spouse: Antoine Fuqua
- Height: 5 ft 9 in
- Eye colour: Brown
- Hair colour: Black
- Profession: Actress
- Net worth: $10 million
Family and background
How old is Lela Rochon? The former model is 56 years old.
The actress was born on 17th April 1964 in Los Angeles, California, to Samuel and Zelma Staples. Her father owned a graphic-arts business, while her mother worked as a nurse.
Lela Rochon young was a very competitive student. She attended Cerritos High School, where she not only was a star athlete and a member of the drama club but also excelled at basketball.
After graduating high school in 1982, the young star enrolled at California State University, Dominguez Hills, in Carson. She later graduated from the school with a Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast Journalism, with minors in Sociology and Theatre.
After graduation, she contemplated going to law school but eventually decided against it. Before becoming a famous actress, Lela worked as a model.
She also appeared in multiple commercials. Some of her best and most known work during this time was her numerous advertisements with the alcohol company Budweiser
Is Lela Rochon Haitian?
Yes, she is. While she was born in the United States of America, her ancestors came from Haiti. She is among other Haitian celebrities in Hollywood such Usher Raymond, Jason Derulo, Zoe Saldana, and Jimmy Jean-Louis, among others
Lela Rochon movies and TV shows
While she is mostly known for the 1989 film Harlem Nights, the star began acting years before that, in 1984. Her first credited scene was in the movie Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo where she played a dancer.
Lela Rochon movies and TV shows
Here are some more films and TV series that the star has been in to date
- A Bunny’s Tale (1985) – Charlotte
- The Wild Pair (1987) – Debby
- Generations (1991) – Brandy Alexander in nine episodes.
- Extralarge: Black and White (1991) – Wendy
- Boomerang (1992) – Christie
- The Meteor Man (1993) – Vanessa – Pretty Nurse
- The Wayans Bros. (1995) – Lisa in 13 episodes
- Waiting to Exhale (1995) – Robin Stokes. Other than Harlem Nights, this is another one of Lela Rochon movies that made her famous. Her role as Robin Stokes is just as renowned as her role as Sunshine in Harlem Nights.
- Gang Related (1997) – Cynthia Webb
- Why Do Fools Fall in Love (1998) – Emira Eagle
- The Division (2001) – Inspector Angela Reide for 22 episodes
- Fatal Secrets (2009) – Sharlene
- Blood Done Sign My Name (2010) – Roseanna Allen
- Let the Church Say Amen (2013) – Loretta Jackson
- Training Day (2017) – Mrs. Craig in three episodes
- David Makes Man (2019) – Alma in two episodes of this Oprah Winfrey Network drama show
How much is Lela Rochon worth?
Like many actors and actresses, the celebrity is extremely wealthy. As of 2020, Lela Rochon net worth is about $10 million.
Lela Rochon weight
The issue about Lela Rochon weight gain began mid last year (2019) after her husband Antoine Fuqua was photographed kissing another woman in Italy. Some took to social media where they claimed that her husband’s infidelity was due to her weight gain
Who is Lela Rochon husband?
The former model and actress is married to American director Antoine Fuqua. The two have been married since 1999.
While the star and her husband have kept their private lives away from the public eye, their relationship was rocked last year when news of Fuqua’s infidelity broke. While her husband never publicly apologized, Nicole went on the Wendy Williams Show where she apologized to the actress on live TV.
Is Antoine Fuqua still married to Lela Rochon? Yes, he is.
About a month after the scandal, she was photographed in public with her wedding ring on. To date, neither Fuqua nor the actress has spoken out publicly about the scandal.
The actress was previously married to actor and dancer Adolfo Gutierrez Quiñones. Adolfo is also professionally known as ‘Shabba Doo.’
The two were married for five years- from 1982 to 1987. According to Shabba Doo, Lela is a lovely woman, and their marriage breakdown was all his fault.
Who are Lela Rochon kids?
The actress has two children with her current husband. They are
- Asia Rochon Fuqua – Lela Rochon daughter was born on 28th July 2002. She is currently 17 years old and in high school. Asia is following in her mother’s footsteps and participates in her school’s drama productions.
- Brandon Fuqua – He was born in May 2004 and recently celebrated his 16th birthday.
It should be noted that while she has two healthy children, the actress once suffered a miscarriage. It happened after Asia was born and her pregnancy, at the time, was five months along.
Where is Lela Rochon now?
So far, the star seems happy and content with her personal life. When it comes to work, it was rumoured that she would be starring in the comedy film False Commitment.
If you would like to keep up with the star, you can follow her on Instagram. Lela Rochon Instagram is verified, and she has 153,000 followers on the platform.
Despite being thrown back into the limelight through some unfortunate circumstances in 2019, Lela Rochon seems to have moved past her husband’s very public infidelity. It looks like she might have found a way to forgive him and keep her family together.