Saul Alvarez has made a name for himself because of his consistency and diligence in the world of boxing. Currently, he is among the top legends such as Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. He has won several titles under the division world championship. It is for this reason that his track record does the taking for him.
Popularly as Canelo, the Mexican sportsman has gained enormous influence over the years. Despite his age, he has competed against top world’s boxing champs proofing his skills and love for the sport. He is popularly identified by his red hair which contributed significantly to his nickname. Well, do you think you know much about this multiple world champ?
Saul Alvarez profile summary
- Birth name: Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán
- Date of birth: 18th July 1990
- Place of birth: Guadalajara, Mexico
- Birth sign: Cancer
- Nationality: Mexican
- Occupation: Boxer
- Height: 1.75 m
Saul was born on 18th July 1990 in Guadalajara, Mexico. He has four known brothers who are also into the boxing world. Saul Alvarez brothers names are Ramon, Ricardo, and Rigoberto. However, reports have it that he is the last born in a family of 8 kids.
Saul Alvarez parents whose names are Santos Álvarez (father) and Ana Maria Barragán (mother) were farmers. In addition to farming, his dad was into ice cream selling business. He owned three parlours.
Saul Alvarez ethnicity is Spanish. Being masculine with a signatory of red hair, he was nicknamed Cinnamon. The name is common in the region. However, to his case, the name was later modified to Canelo. Although, it is, still carries the same meaning.
Age and body measurements
As of 2020, Saul Alvarez age is 29. Usually, he celebrates his birthday in July of every year. Unfortunately, he does not post about his birthdays as it is the case to most celebrities around the world.
There is a variance in his height as provide online. However, most sites are citing Saul Alvarez height to be 5 ft 9 in, which can be translated to 175 cm.
Love and family life
Previously, he was in a relationship with a Mexican model by the name Marisol González. Saul Alvarez girlfriend broke up with him a few years later after the engagement. The two were blessed with one daughter. Saul Alvarez daughter is known as Emily Cinnamon.
Currently, he is dating another gorgeous woman by the name Fernanda Gomez. The two lovebirds have been spotted on various occasions together with many considering her to be Saul Alvarez wife.
Saul Alvarez turned pro in boxing at the age of 15. He showed great potential at the beginning of his career when he knocked out eleven of his first thirteen documented opponents. Álvarez won his third official bout on 20th January 2006, when he beat Miguel Vázquez. The two had a rematch later on 28th June 2008, and Saul emerged the winner once more.
Alvarez has fought a series of topflight matches in his professional career. His record as per his profile on Saul Alvarez BoxRec put him among the elite boxers of his generation. He has won a good number of them by knockouts. Here is a summary of Saul Alvarez fights:
- Canelo vs Kermit Cintrón: He won the fight through TKO in the fifth round of the match
- Canelo vs Mosley: Canelo won via unanimous decision after twelve rounds of an entertaining match
- Canelo vs López: Canelo won via fifth-round TKO
- Álvarez vs Austin Trout: He emerged the winner after a fun game that attracted many fans.
- Canelo vs Mayweather: Unfortunately, Floyd Mayweather won via majority twelve-round decision
- Canelo Álvarez vs Sergey Kovalev: Canelo won the bout via eleventh-round KO
- Canelo vs Liam Smith: Santos beat him to retain his light middleweight title
- Saul Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin: The match held was held on 16 September of 2017. It ended with a deserving draw
- Canelo vs Gennady Golovkin II: Canelo was announced the winner through a decision reached via the majority after the 12th round.
- Álvarez vs Rocky Fielding: He won via TKO
Catchweight fights at 155 lbs
- Canelo vs Angulo: The match ended because of severe left eye injury to his opponent.
- Canelo vs Erislandy Lara: The fight ended in a split even though Canelo emerged top after the final decision.
- Canelo vs Kirkland: The march was held on 9th May of 2015. He won the match via the third-round KO
- Álvarez vs Miguel Cotto: He won the fight through a unanimous victory decision.
- Canelo vs Amir Khan: He won against Amir via knock out
- Canelo vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr: Won against Julio through a shutout unanimous victory decision
These are just but a few of the fights that the champ has been able to participate. That is since he made his breakthrough into the world of boxing in 2005.
Saul Alvarez record
Alvarez has accumulated dozens of titles from his professional wins. Of his 56 fights, he has only lost once. He has won 37 of his matches via knockouts and has never been knocked out by any of his opponents. He has won 17 matches via different decision. He has only two career draws. Below is a summary of Saul Alvarez record:
- WBO light heavyweight champion
- IBF middleweight champion
- WBA (Super) middleweight champion
- WBC middleweight champion
- WBO light middleweight champion
- WBA (Unified) light middleweight champion
- WBC light middleweight champion
Secondary world title:
- WBA (Regular) super middleweight champion
Ring magazine titles:
- The Ring middleweight champion
- The Ring light middleweight champion
- Lineal middleweight champion
- WBC Silver light middleweight
- WBC Youth welterweight
- WBC-NABF welterweight
- WBO Latino welterweight
- WBA Fedecentro welterweight
At 29 years old, he has a brilliant track record and, we can just anticipate that there will be more titles coming on his way.
How much is Canelo Alvarez worth?
Alvarez has accumulated a lot of wealth both from his boxing purses and lucrative endorsement deals. Saul Alvarez net worth is estimated to be around $120 million. He has the second-richest athlete deal in sports history after Mike Trout, who has since passed his contract.
He earned $28.5 million for his two bouts in 2017, according to Forbes’ World’s Highest-Paid Athletes series. He came on the 43rd pace out 100. His overall take from the match with Golovkin in September 2018 is estimated to be around $50 million.
In his win over Sugar Shane Mosley on May 5th, 2012, Alvarez earned $1.2 million. He earned $2 million on September 16th, 2012, when he won over Josesito Lopez and another $100,000 knockout bonus from Golden Boy Promotions.
He lost to Floyd Mayweather on September 14th, 2013. However, he still managed to pocket a total of $12 million. The boxer later earned $5 million and an estimated $15 – $25 million from his wins over Miguel Cotto and Amir Khan, respectively.
Since making his professional debut, the world’s top brands have scrambled to endorse Saul. In 2012, he signed a deal with Under Armour. He also secured an agreement with Everlast in 2014.
He partnered with Hennessy in 2017, working under its slogan “Never Stop. Never Settle”. Between June 2017 and June 2018, Saul earned around $44 million from endorsements and boxing purses.
Saul Alvarez house and other properties
Saul Alvarez leads a flashy life that is evident from his expensive home, £8m vehicle assortment, and glitzy ladies. In 2015, he sold his home in Diego County for $6 million.
The single-storey Hacienda-style house has six rooms and seven restrooms in 11,970 square feet of living space. It was designed with Old World structure, and its interior is proof enough it is a world-class home.
He cherishes fast and classy cars and leads a lavish lifestyle like his peers from the billionaire boxing boys club. He is additionally an upscale sportsman who is not timid about flaunting his wealth and other belonging on social media networks.
The star is available on most social media platforms and has a considerable following. For instance, Saul Alvarez Instagram account has more than6.4 million followers. He often posts pictures with his colleagues and family members. At times, he updates his followers in advance about his upcoming fights.
Without a doubt, Saul Alvarez has positioned himself among the top boxing competitors in the globe. His improvement has been fast and exemplary. He always demonstrated an incredible potential as a youthful athlete star and has lived up to it. He is a perpetual victor who has substantiated himself at the global levels.