Korean boy names are somewhat unique. They have a lot of importance and are steeped in tradition. Despite this, these names continue to evolve as a result of modern trends and ethnic contexts (for example, Korean-American communities), providing a world of option for new and expecting parents.
So, whether you want to honor your family’s Korean ancestors or give a loving tribute to Korean culture in general, we’ve got the perfect names for you. In fact, there were 99 of them.
Korean baby names are essentially made up of two to three parts (often three syllables). The first portion of the name is for the surname, while the second part is for the given name.
The family name is the first syllable (similar to a Western surname).
The generational name, or dolimja (), is usually the second syllable. This identifies the infant as a member of a given family’s generation.
The name for the third syllable is usually chosen by the grandpa or a professional namer.
For example, a name like Lee Min-Ho () would be created, with “Lee” as the family name and “Min-Ho” as the given name.
The given names are then hyphenated and composed of two components, each having its own meaning. This has resulted in a wide range of current Korean boy names, with mixed families frequently choosing a hybrid name that pays homage to old customs while while preserving a modern flair.
So, what are some of the most popular Korean male first names? Let’s have a look at what we’ve got.
Note that Korean names are customarily spelled in Hanja or Hangul. We’ve included the most common translations below.
Like with other cultures, Korean names often carry some meanings behind them.
Korean male names to consider for your son
What are some of the most popular Korean male names? Here’s a list of Korean male names with their meanings that are cool, unusual, common, and profound.
Korean boy names starting with A
- Ahn: Tranquility
- Ae-Cha: Caring and loving
Korean boy names starting with B
- Bae: Inspiration or pear
- Baekhyun: Clever and shining
- Bai: White or something pure
- Beom Seok: Model, rule, or pattern.
- Bitgaram: Shining River
- Bong: Mythical bird
- Bong-ju: Means post, pillar or support
- Bon-hwa: Glorious one
- Bo-seon: Charitable, kind, virtuous, or good
- Byeong-cheol: Sagacious or wise
- Byeong-su: Conserve, guard, protect, or defend
- Byun: Easily excitable
Korean male names that begin with the letter C
Here are some Korean boy names that start with C.
- Cha: Chariot
- Chai: Brushwood or firewood
- Chang: Flourishing or prosperous
- Chan-yeol: Bright, vivid, or ardent.
- Cheong: Gentle or quiet
- Chin: Ancient or exhibit
- Chin-hae: Ocean depth, or truth
- Chin-hwa: One who is wealthy and prosperous
- Chin-mae: A truthful person
- Cho: Handsome
- Choi/Choe: Lofty or high tower
- Chong: Extend or stretch
- Chul: Firm; not hard nor soft
- Chun: Field
- Chung Ae: Love and noble
- Chung-hee: Dutiful and righteous
- Chung-ho: A righteous lake
Korean boy names that begin with the letter D
- Dae: The great one, shining
- Dae-ho: A great personality, great
- Dae-hyun: Big, great, or one who is a showoff
- Dae-jung: Honest, great and righteous
- Dae-yun: Honour and great
- Dak-ho: Deep lake
- Do: Roadway or path
- Doh: Accomplishment
- Don-geun: Root or foundation
- Du-ho: Head and goodness
- Duri: Means two
Korean boy names that begin with the letter E
- Eun: Affection, charity, or mercy
- Eun-seong: Abundant or flourishing in truth
Korean boy names that begin with the letter G
- Ga-eul: Autumn
- Ga-ram: River
- Geon: To construct or respect
- Gi: Brave or foundation
- Gim: Gold
- Gook: Nation
- Gyeong-tae: Large or ‘one who is great.’
- Gyeong-taek: Shining pond
- Gyeong-wan: Pure and shining
Popular Korean male names that begin with the letter H
You’re not a fan of names that are really uncommon? Don’t worry; here are some popular Korean newborn boy names that begin with the letter H.
- Ha: Grand or summer
- Hae-il: Sun or sea
- Hak-kun: Rooted in intelligence
- Han: Leader or country
- Haneul: Heaven or sky
- Han-wool: heavenly.
- Hee: Brightness
- Hee-chul: Happiness
- Hei: Wisdom
- Him-chan: The strong one
- Ho: Fierce or brave
- Hong: Great or expand
- Ho-Seok: Tiger, heroic, or abundant
- Hwan: Shining happiness.
- Hye: One who is intelligent and bright
- Hyuk: Radiant
- Hyuk-jae: One whose talent shines
- Hyun Ki: Shrewd or astute
- Hyun Shik: Smart and clever
- Hyun: Bright
- Hyungsik: Effort for justice
- Hyung-won: Distant brother
- Hyun-woo: The prominent one
Korean boy names starting with I
- Il: One who is superior
- In: Wise being
- In-Su: The preserver of wisdom
Korean boy names that begin with the letter J
In the Korean language, the letter ‘J’ is fairly common. Here are some popular Korean boy names that begin with the letter ‘J.’
- Jae-Hwa: Rich and prosperous
- Jee: The ambitious one
- Jae-bong: Mythical bird
- Jae-hyuk: Shining leather
- Jee-min: One who is blessed with wisdom and purpose
- Jeong-hui: Splendid and gentle
- Ji: A variant of Jee that means wisdom
- Jin: The jewel of truth
- Ji-su: Beautiful and luxurious
- Ji-won: Beauty of the earth
- Joon: Extremely talented
- Joo-Won: Original
- Jum: Ruler or king
- Jun: Handsome
- Jung: One who is virtuous
- Jung-Hwa: Upright and rich
- Jung-kook: Ruler of nations
Korean boy names that begin with the letter K
- Kang: Ginger
- Kang-Dae: Strong and mighty
- Kil: Cool
- Korain: Glorious and luminous
- Kwan: Strong one
- Kwang-Sun: Generally good
- Kwon: Authority or power
- Kyong: Brightness
- Kyung Can: Respect or nice scenery
Korean boy names that begin with the letter M
- Mal-chin: One who is persistent
- Min-jun: Sharp and talented
- Myung: Clear and bright
- Myung-dae: Great righteousness
Korean boy names that begin with the letter N
- Nam: King or ruler
- Na-moo: means tree, wood, or firewood
- Na-ra: Nation or kingdom
- Nam-Gil: My way.
- Nam-Joon: King of the south
Korean boy names that begin with the letter P
- Pu-Reum: This one means ‘the blue one.’
Korean boy names that begin with the letter S
- Sam: The third in order
- Sang: Mutual
- Sang-hoon: Benevolent
- Sang-hun: One who is still
- Sang-ook: One who is always healthy and well
- Seo-jun: Auspicious and talented
- Seok: Like a rock
- Seong-su: Sacred, holy, or water
- Seung: Successor or winning
- Shin: Belief
- Si-u: Divine intervention
- So: The smiley one
- Son Ho Jun: One who is brave and fierce
- Soo: Long life or excellence
- Su-jin: Precious and rare
- Suk: Stone or rock
- Suk-Chin: Means unshakable rock
- Sung: Finished or complete
- Sung-hyun: Completed and worthy
Korean boy names that begin with the letter T
- Tae: The exalted one
- Tae-geun: Good foundation
- Tae-hui: Big or superior
- Tae-hyeong: Supremacy
- Tae-u: Great and exalted
Unique Korean boy names that begin with the letter U
In Korea, the letter ‘U’ is rarely used at the start of a name. There are a few names for Korean boys that aren’t very popular but are nevertheless cute. Here are two choices to consider if you’re seeking for a unique male name.
- U-jin: The genuine one
- U-ram: Imposing and stately
Korean boy names that begin with the letter W
- When Yeong: Shadow and reflection
- Won-shik: Head of the family
Korean boy names that begin with the letter Y
Here are some lovely male Korean names that begin with the letter ‘Y.’
- Ye-jun: Talented in the crafts
- Yeong-gi: Glory and honor
- Yeong-ho: Hero, numerous, or vast
- Yong-sun: Dragon in the first position
- Yoon-gi: gloss or shine.
- Young: Forever unchanging
- Young-jae: One destined to be prosperous
- Young-soo: Keeping prosperity
- Yun-seo: A gender-neutral name meaning consent or allow.
There are a plethora of Korean boy names available, ranging from the unusual to the profound to the extremely popular. When choosing one, it’s important to think about the meaning of the name and whether or not it fits the personality you desire for your child.